In the Clear Creek Amana Community School District, the safety of our students, staff, and visitors is our top priority and we take this responsibility very seriously. Our school safety addresses prevention, intervention, preparedness, building security, and emergency response.
ALICE (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate):
ALICE is a school safety program developed in 2000 to offer additional options to students and staff in dealing with an armed intruder situation. Millions of people have been trained in the ALICE protocol, now being used in universities, colleges, hospitals, churches, corporations, and government offices. The letters ALICE are an acronym that stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, and Evacuate.
ALICE training is the #1 active shooter, civilian response training for any organization. Clear Creek Amana Community School District uses annual ALICE training with staff. CCA has partnered with the North Liberty Police Department, Johnson County Sheriff's Department and Iowa County Sheriff's Department to conduct ALICE training and prepare our staff.
Planning for the Unknown
- Our school district and each school building have school safety and emergency response plans in place. These plans continue to evolve and change according to state law and are developed and reviewed by Johnson County, North Liberty and Iowa County community agencies such as law enforcement, fire departments, and EMS.
- All buildings work with local law enforcement on annual intruder training (ALICE training). There are many variables in this training and no single response fits all intruder situations. However, making sure each individual knows his or her options for response and can react decisively will save valuable time.
- Emergency plans, procedures, and warning signs are reviewed by school staff periodically.
- Information is shared with students, keeping in mind sensitivity, maturity and level of understanding of the students. We will continue with our strategies to help students feel connected to school, to their teachers and to each other.
- Buildings have limited entry points and require emergency response drills with students.
- In the event of an intruder or student safety emergency, initial notifications would be sent out via SMS and email and ongoing information would be formulated and communicated. The safety of our students is our highest priority. We also understand how important it is to get information that we are able to share as soon as possible.
The Clear Creek Amana Community School District uses Blackboard Communications to contact parents about information regarding crisis communication, school closings and delays. Calls, texts and emails will go out as soon as any decision is made by administration concerning the school day. Please listen to the entire message as it contains pertinent information. The district website and district mobile app will also list any changes to the school day.